Sunday, February 10, 2013

Creme Brulee

Cooking class continued:  For dessert, creme brulee.  And why not, we are gearing up for Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday.


So as soon as our Shrimp Etouffee was simmering away we jumped into creme brulee, which I am not technically spelling correctly.  (There should be an accent in creme and a little clown hat over the u and another accent over the last ee's in brulee, but technically I have no idea how to make the computer type them.  So please forgive me, I really do know they exist.)  Anyway, it is easier to make creme brulee than type it!

It is so similar to my Zabaglione gelato recipe that I can whip it up in a matter of minutes.  I split a vanilla bean and let it steep in heavy cream while I whisk egg yolks and sugar together.  When the egg yolks and sugar begin to change colors, from lemon egg yolk yellow to creamy butter yellow, I put the cream over medium heat.  Just about the time the egg yolks are super light and fluffy the cream is beginning to just bubble around the edges of the pan--perfect timing.  

I carefully add a little of the warm cream to the egg mixture and stir it around, to temper the eggs.  Gradually, I combine the cream and eggs until they are one.  Watch out for the vanilla bean, when it becomes visible, I fish it out and scrape out every little tiny seed and add them all to the custard. I add a little Marsala wine because it really puts an Italian spin on these very French puddings.

I like to transfer everything to a measuring cup with a good handle and clean pouring spout to make it easier to fill the ramekins.  I put all the ramekins into a baking dish and place it near the oven, fill the ramekins about 3/4 full and slide everything into the oven.  Then I make a nice water bath for my little custards and bake them for 25 to 30 minutes.  So easy.

After baking, the ramekins need to chill out in the fridge to set the custard and prepare them for the brulee.  After chilling for at least three hours the puddings are ready for the torch.  Sprinkle them with a light coating of extra-fine sugar and then set the flame.


Notice that the ramekin is on a non-flamable surface.  Smart, no!

 Nearly ready...

Perfetto!

Seriously--creme brulee is a super easy super show-off dessert, so impressive with so little effort.  You must have a torch, I tried to get a beautiful brulee (which just means burnt) in the broiler but it is really tricky.  So make life easy and get a little torch.  Before my sis gave this one to me, I just used the farm torch--you know, the kind you get at the ranch store!

I love this moment:  Vanilla cream and burnt sugar mingle in the air.  Dear friends and family are gathered around my table and EVERYONE is smiling.  Taking a cue from me, we raise our spoons in unison and CRACK--the table comes alive to the cacophony sugar crackling and laughter!

-->
Crème Brulee

2 c. cream
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. sugar
6 egg yolks
pinch of salt
¼ c. Marsala wine
3 T. superfine sugar

Preheat oven to 325. 

Pour cream into a medium saucepan.  Split vanilla bean and add it to the cream and let it steep.

Separate egg yolks and put them into the bowl of a mix-master, or into a medium bowl.  Add ½ c. sugar, a pinch of salt and either mix on medium speed or using a whisk, mix the egg yolks and sugar until they are light and fluffy.  I mix until it turns the color of butter—the egg yolk and sugar will become lighter and lighter in color and texture.

Meanwhile heat the cream over medium heat until it begins to steam and just begins to form bubbles along the edges.  Stir frequently to avoid forming a skin on the top of the cream.

Carefully add some of the cream to the egg mixture, stir and repeat this process until the cream and milk are completely combined.  Do this gradually to temper the eggs.  Watch for the vanilla bean and fish it out before it slips into the egg mixture.  Use a small spoon to scrape the “caviar” out of the bean and add every little seed possible to the egg/cream mixture.  Add the Marsala wine.  Stir well to incorporate the vanilla seeds and transfer the custard into eight 8 oz. ramekins. 

Transfer the ramekins to a baking and place in the center rack of the oven.  Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish until the water level reaches halfway up the ramekins.  Bake 25-30 min.  Do not let custards brown.

Remove baking dish from oven and ramekins from baking dish.  Set ramekins on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes and then chill them in the fridge.  Custards need to chill for at least 3 hours to set, I usually do them a day ahead.

Just before serving, place ramekins on a flameproof surface, like a baking sheet, and sprinkle each with just enough superfine sugar to cover the surface, about a half a teaspoon.  Using a kitchen torch, flame each custard to the desired point.  Serve immediately.



1 comment:

  1. God DAMN that's beautiful. Makes me hungry for your cooking.

    I am passing on a little webpage that I use when I wanna make those little accents. It makes writing, say, crème brûlée much more easy and fun. (If I was there I could walk you through activating your italian keyboard extension, but maybe you can figure it out through that website or I can try sometime?)

    http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codemac.html
    http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/keyboards/charpalosx.html

    ReplyDelete